XLVII by Edna Vincent Millay

Well, I have lost you and I lost you fairly;
In my own way, and with my full consent,
Say what you will kings in a tumbril rarely
Went to their deaths more proud than this one went.
Some night of apprehension and hot weeping
I will confess; but that's permitted me:
Day dried my eyes; I was not one for keeping
Rubbed in a cage a wing that would be free.
If I have loved you less or played you slyly
I might have held you for a summer more,
But at the cost of words I value highly,
And no such summer as the one before.
Should I outlive this anguish--and men do--
I shall have only one good to say of you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

She Proves the Inconsistency of the Desires and Criticism of Men Who Accuse Women of What They Themselves Cause

Kung Ibig Mo Akong Makilala by Ruth Elynia S. Mabanglo

Love Does Not Know Secrets